That's our new old 83 Scamp! We're doing an inside and outside restoration and after thinking about all the things we have to do, I decided exterior paint would be first, because both the front and back window gaskets leak, so they are getting replaced. And before replacing I figured we should paint the exterior. I've read up on some of the painting and other threads here and have a few questions.
1. What would you recommend for chip/crack filler? The exterior is actually pretty smooth but there is one small section of crackling paint, a few dings, and the whole thing is chalky.
2. Speaking of chalky, best prep for the surface to remove the chalk?
3. None of the three jalousie windows currently leak. However...this is an 83 and I have no idea when they were last caulked. Should I just take them out and recaulk (I hear butyl tape is recommended) so I'm starting fresh with all the windows?
4. Likewise for the belly band?
5. Best chemical to remove the decals?
6. Not sure what to do about that beast on the roof. It works, but it's LOUD and shakes the whole camper. Wife's gonna hate that.
I'm going to use marine paint, rolled on, for the finish coats, unless someone suggests otherwise. We're going for a silver metallic look on the top half, aqua blue on the bottom. Should be pretty sweet.
Thanks in advance for any advice!